Trend # 1 - Science Continues to Impact Skin Care and BeautyCompanies who are careful about product development and study the science behind ingredients know what works and what is just junk science. Here are ingredients to watch for:
• Stem cells in skin care products claim to trigger cell growth including rejuvenation of the skin. However, since stem cells currently used are non-embryonic, not alive and can't penetrate the skin, topical creams or serums that include them won't produce the kinds of biological results often claimed. Current formulations focus on the use of peptides and/or enzymes from plant stem cells. These peptides and enzymes may, in fact, be effective in protecting your skin's own stem cells from further environmental damage. Thus providing your skin with the best chance to repair itself and produce its own cells and tissue. Skin Amnesty's treatment products, the moisturizers, eye cream and serum contain soy and rice peptides to protect and restore your skin.
• Peptides are short chains of amino acids similar to proteins that are currently very popular in skin care formulations. Peptides are currently used to, among other functions, help lift the skin and create collagen and elastin. Their benefits are gaining popularity and their use will continue. The Bio-Peptides in Skin Amnesty prevent collagen and elastin breakdown.
• Antioxidants help the body fend off free radical damage. Antioxidants such as Vitamins A, C and E, alpha-lipoic acid, DMAE, Ubiquinone and others often found naturally in fruits and vegetables such as pomegranate, açai berry, broccoli, green tea, spinach, chocolate and others abound and will continue to enjoy widespread use in skin care. And rightly so. Skin Amnesty Restore Protect Serum has 15 % Vitamin Protected in an inner chamber of the bottle to maintain its potency as well as Vitamin E.
• Acids such as glycolic, lactic and salicylic acids help exfoliate dead skin. Careful, controlled and professionally supervised acid exfoliation is an excellent component of a healthy anti-aging beauty regime. But, be careful not to overdue your exfoliation. Remember that skin is a live organism and it can be damaged. There will continue to be a need for acid exfoliation for the foreseeable future. Spa Phoenix offers a professional strength peel treatment as well as a home use peel with a special formula of non glycolic acids.
Trend #2 – Committing to a Healthy Lifestyle
If your diet is full of excessive amounts of processed food and exercise only means opening the refrigerator door, your skin won’t look its best. DNA and body composition also play a large role in how your skin will look, but that’s a variable that we can’t control. Instead the focus must shift to things we can control:
• Eating healthy is the most fundamental way to improve your body and skin health. We already mentioned that antioxidant rich foods abound and that their consumption can keep your organism healthy and thus able to repair itself. In addition, daily application of topical skin care products rich in antioxidants, amino acids, hydrators and protectants offer your best strategy against premature aging of your skin. Good nutrition and beauty do go hand in hand.
• Exercise is an excellent way to clear out toxins and improve circulation. It also flushes your lungs with fresh air, pumps your blood and oxygenates the skin. Exercising 3 to 4 times per week circulates nutrients to the skin, which provide the building blocks for repair and growth. Exercise also allows you to flex and stretch your skin, which in turn increases circulation and stimulates your lymphatic system. Periodic facials and massages are particularly healthy for your skin. Exercise is a great way to get that healthy “glow”!
• Reducing stress keeps wrinkles and frown lines away. This is no joke! Frowning, and worry lines are caused by facial expressions induced by stress. Stress also weakens the body’s ability to defend and repair itself. Reduce your stress by learning new coping skills such as meditation, breathing and spirituality. Mind, Body and Soul are not just 3 words that go together well. They should become part of your everyday philosophy and beauty regime. Regular massage at Spa Phoenix with Jessica, Allison or Brenda, will help reduce your stress level.
• Getting rest is critical because it relaxes your body and enables your body to repair itself. How can your body function optimally if you’re exhausted all the time?! Make time for sleep and give your body a chance to regenerate.
Trend #3 - Increasing Use of Skin Care Professionals
The trend towards high cost and invasive plastic surgery procedures has declined. The tough economy has played a big role in the slow down of this trend. In 2011, many people will shy away from these expensive procedures and will instead select less invasive procedures such as Restylane®, Hyaluronic Acid and Botox® injections as well as Acid peels. The focus will be to delay the effects of time by doing what you can today. In addition to the use of the above procedures, consumers will include regular visits to their skin care therapists, spas and skin care clinics. These skin care professionals have the tools and techniques to really improve your skin. New devices and new active ingredients form part of a powerful arsenal of non-invasive, anti-aging tools that a licensed skin care therapist has access to. Take advantage of their expertise and pay them a visit. Regular visits to your skin care professionals, Heidi, Melanie or Karen, are the best way to keep your skin looking its best.
Trend #4 – Protecting Our Skin with More than Just Sunscreen
While many people use sunscreen, other irritating ingredients such as cigarette smoke, dust and harsh and dry environments also damage your skin. There is a constant exchange of molecules between the air around you and your skin. If you’re having trouble breathing, you can be sure your skin is too. Protecting your skin with proper clothing and cleaner air will be on the rise in 2011. In addition to protecting from the sun, protection of your skin’s moisture barrier is indispensable. Hydration mornings and evenings are, of course, a necessary first step. But, what about hydration during the rest of the day? There is a new breed of spray on moisturizers that can maintain your hydration level without having to remove your make up such as Jane Iredale’s Pommisst Hydrating Spray. And don’t disregard your water intake either. Remember to drink at least 6, 8-ounce glasses of water every day to keep your body properly hydrated. Soft drinks don’t count, sorry.
Taking care of your skin health and routine skin care are some of the most impactful ways in which you can maintain your overall wellbeing. Proper hydration and protection of your skin, staying informed on advances and the usage of the right products will, in the long run, prove to be your best strategies for your overall long-term skin health. After all, isn’t your skin worth it? It just happens to be the most visible and largest organ in your body! Depend on Heidi, Melanie and Karen at Spa Phoenix to keep you informed of the latest advances in skin care.